Saturday, September 6, 2014

Cards with quotes

I love inspirational quotes and passages. Even the corny little sayings on candy wrappers and in fortune cookies. When I come across one that is especially meaningful to me I'll put it up on the fridge or at my desk or jot it down in one of my journals. So today I'm going to share a couple of cards that include quotes from the (retired) Pursuit of Happiness stamp set from Stampin' Up!

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Sweet Summer, Pursuit of Happiness
Paper: Whisper White, Daffodil Delight, Old Olive, Basic Black card stock
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Daffodil Delight Blendabilities (light and medium), Old Olive Blendabilities (light and dark)
Accessories: Itty Bitty Shapes punch pack, pearls, Mono Multi liquid glue

You can't help but think of sunshine with these cheery yellow flowers, so they're perfect for this quote. I casually colored the flowers with Blendabilities markers, leaving a bit of white space here and there. (I didn't do any blending with the markers; haven't quite mastered that skill yet.) To make the center flower shorter, I just inked part of the stem before stamping. I mounted the focal panel on Daffodil Delight card stock, leaving a narrow yellow border. Then I adhered that to a layer of Basic Black to create a wider frame and mounted everything on an Old Olive card base that measured 5" x 4-1/4".

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Nature Walk, Pursuit of Happiness
Paper: Crumb Cake, Vintage Violet, Very Vanilla card stock
Ink: Crumb Cake, Vintage Violet
Accessories: Chalk Talk Framelits dies, Vintage Violet stitched ribbon, Neutrals Candy Dots, Itty Bitty Accents punch pack, Itty Bitty Shapes punch pack, Dimensionals

I think this quote is one of my favorite stamps in the set; it's good to remember that the littlest things -- like smiling at a stranger or saying "thank you" -- can make a difference in a much larger way. The quote takes center stage on this card in front of a Crumb Cake tone-on-tone collage-stamped background. I used the Vintage Violet color three times -- the ink for the sentiment, the ribbon on the tag and the punched flower -- to really draw your eyes to the focal point. And by adding a couple of bumblebee images in the lighter color to the tag, I was able to unite the focal point with the background.

Do you have a favorite inspirational (or funny or thought-provoking) quote? I'd love to hear it -- add it to the comments below. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: