Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Playing with Distress Oxide inks, Part II

As promised in my last post, here are the rest of the cards I made after my first play session with Distress Oxide inks. While the last batch had a birthday theme, most of these cards focus on elements of nature.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Under the Sea (Heartfelt Creations)
Paper: Mint Macaron card stock, copper foil, 110-lb white card stock (Recollections)
Ink: VersaMark, Distress Oxides: Walnut Stain, Broken China, Fossilized Amber, Peeled Paint (Ranger)
Accessories: Under the Sea dies (Heartfelt Creations), clear detail embossing posder, Go Green sequins (Craft Medley), Tide embossing folder (Lifestyle Crafts), iridescent sequin assortment, copper trim, Dimensionals, water spritzer

The Broken China (blue) and Fossilized Amber (yellow) colors of Distress Oxide inks combined to make a minty color on parts of the background for this card, so I used a Mint Macaron card base embossed with a wave patter. To pick up the brown tones I used copper foil to mat the panel and to make the focal image. (I stamped on the foil with VersaMark, embossed it with clear powder and then die cut the image.) I wrapped a piece of copper trim -- stretched out to give it a nautical feel -- around the panel and added a few sequins to look like water drops.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Gorgeous Grunge
Paper: Soft Sky, Lemon Lime Twist, vellum card stock; 110-lb white card stock (Recollections)
Ink: Soft Sky, Distress Oxides: Faded Jeans, Fossilized Amber, Peeled Paint, Broken China (Ranger)
Accessories: Butterflies Thinlits dies, Bold Butterfly Framelits dies, Large Scallop Edgelit die small butterfly punch, burlap trim, 4mm clear droplets (Pretty Pink Posh), Go Green and Rhythm 'n Blues sequins (Craft Medley), Tiny Attacher (Tim Holtz), Glue Dots, Art Glitter Glue (Art Institute Glitter)

For this card I used Framelits to cut and punch basic butterfly shapes out of the Distress Oxide panel. Then I cut the detailed pieces out of vellum for the two larger butterflies and layered them together.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Inside and Out Birthday (Papertrey Ink)
Paper: Crumb Cake, Whisper White, Daffodil Delight, Poppy Parade, Dapper Denim card stock; white 110-lb card stock (Recollections)
Ink: Dapper Denim, Distress Oxides: Faded Jeans, Fired Brick, Fossilized Amber (Ranger)
Accessories: Pansy punch, Dotted Scallop Ribbon Border punch, Flower Fair Framelits dies, White Perfect Accents, clear Wink of Stella glitter brush pen, burlap ribbon, Tiny Attacher (Tim Holtz), Dimensionals, water spritzer

For the flowers on this card, I punched out two shapes from each color for each flower. I bent up the petals a bit on one flower of each color and then layered it on the same color flower so the petals overlapped. It's hard to see in this photo, but I also used my clear Wink of Stella pen to add a touch of glitter to the the Crumb Cake center of each flower as well as the edges of the petals.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Paper: Pool Party, Whisper White, Basic Black card stock; 110-lb white card stock (Recollections)
Ink: Journaling pen, Distress Oxides: Fired Brick, Fossilized Amber, Faded Jeans (Amber)
Accessories: Up and Away Thinlits dies, Iridescent Sequin Assortment, Art Glitter Glue (Art Institute Glitter), Dimensionals

So I know a hot air balloon isn't really a natural element, but the clouds in the background are, right? The multi-colored Distress Oxide background works great here behind the detailed hot air balloon die cut. I didn't want to detract from the balloon, so I kept the rest of the card simple: a few die-cut clouds, sequins and a hand-drawn border.

All in all, I had a lot of fun experimenting with my Distress Oxide inks. I did have to work on letting go of perfection. (I am not good at practicing. If I can't do something perfectly right away, I often convince myself that I can't do it and just give up. It's silly, but my mind seems to work like that sometimes.) But once I got the hang of it, I really enjoyed it.

When I made these cards I only had six colors of the Distress Oxide inks. Since then I've bought a couple more, and I think I'll keep adding to my collection! Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well..tried to post a comment and it didn't like me for some reason! Let's see..I like the ideas for the Oxide inks - the fish card is my favorite of these two posts. I've given these inks a try myself, even though I've always felt like I'm a clean/simple kind of stamper, it has been fun to try some "messy" stuff.
Looking forward to see more of what you do with these inks.
Judy

Andrea said...

Thanks, Judy! The fish card is my favorite, too. :-) And I’m with you about the “messy.” I’m definitely a clean and simple stamper, so these inks took a little more time than I usually spend on a card, but trying different things is always good!